41.0604 Responsibilities of vessel and aircraft owners.
(a) The owner of any vessel or aircraft may not:
(1) refuse to receive any person ordered deported under this chapter back on Board the vessel or aircraft or another vessel or aircraft owned or operated by the same interests;
(2) fail to detain any person on Board the vessel or aircraft when required by this title to do so;
(3) fail or refuse to pay the costs of maintaining a person being detained as required by this chapter;
(4) fail or refuse to remove a deported person from American Samoa to whence he came;
(5) knowingly bring into American Samoa any person excluded or deported under any provision of law until that person is legally entitled to apply for admission.
(b) It shall be the duty of every person, including the owners, masters, captains, officers, and agents of vessels or aircraft bringing an alien to, or providing a means for an alien to come to, American Samoa to prevent the landing of such alien in American Samoa at a point of entry other than as designated by the Attorney General or at any time or place other than as designated by the immigration officers.
(c) It shall be the duty of every person, including the owners, masters, captains, officers, and agents of vessels or aircraft bringing an alien to, or providing a means for an alien to come to, American Samoa to prevent the landing of such person in American Samoa without the required documents listed in 41.0502 A.S.C.A., unless otherwise relieved of such duty in writing by the Attorney General.
(d) Any such person, owner, master, captain, officer or agent who fails to comply with the foregoing requirements shall be liable for a penalty to be imposed by the Attorney General of up to $1,000 for each such violation. Such penalty shall be a lien upon the vessel or aircraft whose owner, master, officer, or agent violates the provisions of this section, and such vessel or aircraft may be libeled therefor in the High Court of American Samoa.History: 1984, PL 18-52 § 2; amd 1987, PL 20-18 § 1.
Amendments: 1987 Subsections (b), (c) and (d): added.