19.0180 Bus Rates.
(a) The following one-way rates shall be charged by commercial buses as maximum rates:
(1) Congestion Area. From the Marist Fathers’ Rectory in Atu’u to the end of Faga’alu village…………………………………………………………………………………………….. $ 1.00
(2) Western District. From Fagatogo (market place) to:
(A) Airport intersection 1.25
(B) Airport, areas on west side of airport intersection up to Leone-Auma including Ili’ili, Vaitogi, Mapusagafou, Taputimu, Vailoatai, and Malaeloa………… 1.50
(C) Areas on west side of Leone-Auma to Amanave including Aoloau and Aasu .. 1.75
(D) Areas beyond Amanave including Poloa, Fagali’i, and Fagamalo 2.00
(3) Eastern District. From Fagatogo (market place) to:
(A) Lauli’ituai 1.25
(B) Areas on east side of Lauli’ituai to Amouli 1.50
(C) Fagasa 1.50
(D) Areas on east side of Amoulia to Tula 1.75
(E) Onenoa, Aoa, Masefau, Masausi, and Sa’ilele 2.00
(F) Afono 2.00
(G) Vatia 2.25
(b) Charter Fares: The rate for charter buses is computed as follows: Bus capacity x subsection (a) rate for any set destination. Example: From marketplace to airport using 20-seat bus = (20) x $1.50 = $30 one way, round trip $60. This method offsets any charge for waiting hours and allows the bus to wait as long as 4 hours at no extra cost.
(c) The following applies to all bus owners and operators:
(1) That there is a minimum fare of $0.50 for intra-village and inter-village travel in areas not distinctly covered in subsection (a) of this section;
(2) That a fare of $0.50 be charged for any ride between any two adjacent points stated in subsection (a) of this section. If riding between more than 2 set points, the fare must be consistently and reasonably adjusted to avoid any unreasonable overcharge;
(3) That no restriction is posed against undercharging of passengers by any operator. However, it advises strongly against overcharging and asks that operators observe the maximum rates outlined in this section;
(4) That every bus owner holding valid business license for commercial transportation in American Samoa must submit a quarterly financial statement after each quarter to the Commission chairman for filing, indicating business income and expenditures.History: Comm. Commn. Regs., eff 1 Jan 73. Reg. 1.02; amd 2008; amd 2012, Rule 01-2012, eff 1 Oct 12.
Amendments: 2008, established new bus rates.
2012, changed number from 19.0148. Title modified.