(a) Certificate of Identity.

(1) A certificate of identity is a travel document issued under the authority of the Attorney General. No alien is eligible for a certificate of identity. No person who is eligible for a United States passport as a citizen or a national shall be issued a certificate of identity except in an emergency. An emergency is defined as follows:

(A) The applicant has filed for a United States passport; and

(B) The physical health of the applicant or an immediate member of the family is impaired and there is medical evidence to substantiate the health problem and travel is necessary: or

(C) There is a death or wedding in the applicant’s family necessitating travel; or

(D) The applicant has been approved for education or training necessitating travel. Sufficient proof must be filed to support the request such as an affidavit.

(2) In 1986 all eligible applicants may be granted a certificate of identity valid until December 31, 1986. Commencing January 1, 1987 a certificate of identity may be issued for periods up to and not exceeding 90 days.

(3) All applicants for a certificate of identity must file a certified birth certificate from any state, territory , or possession of the United States. Birth certificates for American Samoa must be verified by the office prior to issuing the certificate of identity.

(4) The fee for issuing a certificate of identity shall be $15.

(b) Stateless Certificate.

(1) A stateless certificate is a travel document issued by the Attorney General to aliens only. The applicant for a stateless certificate must file an affidavit or official letter from the alien’s native or citizenship country demonstrating that the country will not issue a passport to the alien, a certified birth certificate (any birth certificate not in English must be translated into English and the translator m list certify the translation), two recent photographs, and file a personal affidavit as to the truth of the application. The alien is responsible for securing necessary visas or approvals from other nations as required.

(2) Aliens who have been approved by the board as American Samoans who cannot get passport from their native or citizenship country are eligible for stateless certificate on the basis of the board ‘s approval and must supply a certified birth certificate and two recent photographs.

(3) A stateless certificate may be issued for up to three years.

(4) In order for an alien with a stateless certificate to enter the United States, a United States Visa is required.

(5) The fee for a stateless certificate is $25.

(c) Travel Permit.

(1) A travel permit is a travel document issued by the Attorney General to an alien who is qualified for a passport from his or her native or citizenship country , but the passport is lost, stolen, mutilated or expired and the alien is returning to his or her native country .

(2) An alien applying for a travel permit must have a valid alien registration card and identification as required by 41.0309 ASCA or be an alien who is legally in the Territory as a visitor pursuant to 41.0502 ASCA. The alien registration card or two recent photographs and an affidavit stating the facts as to the missing passport must be presented upon application for the travel permit.

(3) The travel permit shall be valid for one trip only to the native country and may not be used for entrance to American Samoa.

(4) Any alien who has an invalid or expired alien registration card or who has overstayed may be deported pursuant to law and not permitted to return to American Samoa pursuant to 41.0613 ASCA. (5) The fee for a travel permit is $10.

History: Rule 3-86, eff 7 Dec 86.